The Committee of the 2012 Kinsale Pink Ribbon Walk presented a cheque for â‚¬102,849 to Action Breast Cancer, a programme of the Irish Cancer Society, in the Temperance Hall on Tuesday 15th May. Fred Tracey, Mayor of Kinsale thanked everyone for their hard work and generous donations to fundraise this tremendous amount
"We are overwhelmed by this incredible amount raised by so many people in these difficult times for Action Breast Cancer and wish to thank all our participants, donors, sponsors, volunteers and everyone who got involved with this fantastic community project here in Kinsale on 4th March" said Jackie Dawson, Chairperson, Kinsale Pink Ribbon Walk Committee.
Accepting the cheque on behalf of the Irish Cancer Society, Stephanie Casey, Community Fundraising Manager said: "The objective is to empower individuals and communities to increase breast cancer awareness, promote healthy living and raise funds for Action Breast Cancer through a fun and rewarding experience. On behalf of Action Breast Cancer, I would like to thank the Kinsale Pink Ribbon Walk and everyone involved with it for this massive boost to our programme, as we continue to strive for a world without breast cancer", she added.
The Pink Ribbon Walk is a national fundraising initiative which organises sponsored charity walks in locations around the country in aid of Action Breast Cancer. Since 2009, The Pink Ribbon Walks in Ireland have raised over â‚¬500,000 for Action Breast Cancer. The third Killaloe Pink Ribbon Walk takes place on 16th June and the fourth Kells Pink Ribbon Walk is on 9th September. See www.pinkribbonwalk.ie for further details or follow us on www.facebook.com/pinkribbonwalk and www.twitter.com/pinkribbonwalks
Monies Raised from the Pink Ribbon Walks help to fund the following care, education and research services:
- Free counselling by volunteers who have had breast cancer and can listen and provide practical support to breast cancer patients.
- A helpline staffed by specialist nurses offering expert advice (1800 200700)
- A range of breast awareness and breast cancer publications visit www.cancer.ie to download
- Grants and financial support for breast cancer patients
- 240 Night Nurses around the country who are accessed through the patient's medical team
- Breast cancer research to the value of â‚¬1.7 million in 2010 in hospitals and universities across Ireland.
Photography from John Allen (086 2162990) email@example.com